Wokeness is Not Social Justice. It’s Establishment Elitism. | BreadBusting #12

Note: This article is a commentary on ‘wokeness’, as in the critical theory and postmodernism inspired worldview. Wokeness aside, I am still committed to being against racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, and bigotry in all forms. However, I believe our approach should be guided by liberal values.




Welcome to BreadBusting, where we attempt to examine the problematic ideas that come out of BreadTube, and the ideology of Breadism more generally. Basically, it's like Myth Busting, but for Breadism. We also talk about BreadTube adjacent phenomenon, that is, things that fans of BreadTube also happen to like or support, or have a strong opinion on.

Today, I want to discuss the recent controversy surrounding an interview on the website Spiked, featuring Chapo Trap House host Amber Frost and Red Scare host Anna Kachiyan, two anti-woke lefists according to the article published on Spiked. Frost, as you might know, is famous for coining the term 'dirtbag left', and Chapo is basically the home of dirtbag leftism. I have always found dirtbag leftism interesting and sort of respectable. I mean, they probably won't return my respect. Still, despite our differences, I can tell that the dirtbag left is the real deal when it comes to being anti-establishment, hence they know the value of being anti-woke. More on that later.

But first, what did Frost and Kachiyan do wrong to trigger the anger of the Woke Left? Nothing, in fact, besides being anti-woke.

So why is being anti-woke so cool? Because it's anti-establishment. I don't know why the Woke Left can't see it, but wokeness is literally a 1% establishment elite agenda, promoted by people from academics in humanity departments, to corporate CEOs, to Hollywood celebrities. To be anti-woke is to choose to side with the ideals of the silent majority, the good sense of everyday individuals, against the dogma of the elites. It is one thing to be pro-human rights, and I'm certainly pro-human rights, but being woke is actually just following dogma enforced by the elites. For me, and for many other people, the fact that the majority of people out there are not woke is good enough reason to be anti-woke. Being woke is to play into the elites' agenda, and is by definition pro-establishment, if you think about it. I guess you can't be truly anti-establishment without also being anti-woke.

The interview also included other, interesting, anti-woke criticisms of the modern so-called left. There was a good point about how race shouldn't matter, something the modern left seems to have forgotten. I have often said that only a colorblind society is true liberation, and only a colorblind society can have true solidarity, and it seems that at least some leftists still agree with this traditional progressive wisdom. Another point I liked was their support for free speech. As a free speech absolutist, I have become disappointed at the erosion of free speech on the left in recent years. People like Frost and Kachiyan give me real hope that the spirit of the 1960s Free Speech Movement is still not entirely dead on the left. Yet.

That's all for today. I'll be back next time to discuss another big idea. Subscribe if you want to follow our story. The transcripts are available on my website, and my Medium profile. And remember to resist the hive mind and stay individualistic. The world depends on it.